Why do you need to prevent access to the hard drive?
If you share your computer with multiple people, you don’t want your data to be used or Prevent Access to the Hard drive by them. You may think that your privacy is already compromised since you are already sharing your computer with others.
But you are wrong; you can keep your privacy by just preventing them from accessing the hard drive. You may think that it is hard, but it is pretty simple. If you wonder how to prevent Access to the hard drive on windows 10, I have mentioned some ways below.
How to Prevent Access to the Hard drive on Windows 10?
If you wonder how to prevent Access to the hard drive on Windows 10. I have mentioned some ways below to help you.
1. Hard Drive by using Local Group Policy Editor:
- Firstly, you have to type run in the windows search bar and press the enter key. In the run, you have to enter gpedit.MSC and press the enter key. As you will do it, the window of Local Group Policy Editor will open up.
- In that window, you will see the option of Administrative Templates, and you have to expand it. As you grow it, you will see the possibility of Windows Components, and you have to develop it.
- In that, you will see the option of File Explorer, and you have to double-click on it. Now different options will open up in the right panel, and from that, you have to double-click on the option of Prevent Access to drives from My Computer.
- Now a window will open up, and in that, you have to select the enabled and select the option of Restrict all drives. Once that is done, you have to click on the Apply button and then the OK button.
- Now you can try to open any hard drive from your computer, but you won’t be able to open it.
2. Prevent Access to Hard Drive by using Registry Editor:
- You have to type Registry Editor in the Windows search bar and press enters key. As the window of the Registry Editor will open up, you will be able to see the option of HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and you have to expand it.
- Once you have expanded that folder, you must follow the software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies. Now you have to right-click on Policies and add a new Key. You have to name that key by Explorer.
- You have to right-click on the Explorer folder and create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value file. You have to type NoValueOnDrive in the Value name and change the Value data. Also, change the base to Decimal.
- You must add the value to decimal numbers in the value data as per the drive given below.
- A: 1, B: 2, C: 4, D: 8, E: 16, F: 32, G:64, H: 128, I: 256, J: 512, K: 1024, L: 2048, M: 4096, N: 8192, O: 16384, P: 32768, Q: 65536, R: 131072, S: 262144, T: 524288, U: 1048576, V: 2097152, W: 4194304, X: 8388608, Y: 16777216, Z: 33554432, ALL: 67108863.
- I would suggest you enter the value of ALL that is given at last. Once you enter that value in Value data, you have to click on the OK button. Now you can try to open the hard drive from your computer, but you won’t open it since you just prevented the Access.
Read This:- How to back up a computer to an external hard drive.